Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing windows 2000 professional on 20 new pcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Im a administrator for small windows 2000 workgroup LAN. End of the January i have to train 20 students to install windows 2000 professional in 20 new pcs.

My problems is that i have only one windows 2000 cd and i dont want to burn 19 cds.

Is there any solution. Can it be done through the network. All those 20 pcs have network card and i have connected them to hub. I do have one computer where windows 2000 server is installed and is connected to the same hub where 20 pcs are connected. As those 20 computers are brand new with no operating system at all, whats the best way to install it?

As i ve read that i can copy the windows 2000 cds contents to the shared folder in server's hardrive and i can boot those 20 pcs frm network boot disk and connect to server's shared folder and install it? Can anybdy suggest me please?

Yes, you can install Windows 2000 Professional from a network share. If you have a computer already setup with the OS, copy the entire contents to a folder on the computer. Name and share out the folder. I use names like Win2000Dis so that it sticks out.

On the computers that do not have an OS, map a network driev using the 'net use' command to connect to the share. net use I: \\COMPUTERNAME\Win2000Dis for example. Since you are running from a 16 bit operatying system (DOS) you will have to use winnt.exe to start the installation from the network share. Keep in mind, if you are trying to isntall 20 workstations off of a hub, the instal might take awhile. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I'd like to say RIS is a great feature but it sounds like you do not have Windows 2000 Servers, only Professional in a workgroup environment. Your options are limited.

I apologize, after rereading I see you do have a Windows 2000 Server. You can still create a distribution point like I explained. However, RIS is a great option you might look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back