Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoWalker

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2003
GB
Hi

I am developing a dynamic web site which will run on 2 clustered windows 2000 advanced servers.

I want to test this in the design enviroment on my machine which will require me to install windows 2000 advanced server as a dual boot with my existing windows xp pro setup.

I have 2 hard disks, 1x 40GB disk which is partioned into 2 basic partitions, one partion being used for windows xp system files. The second hard disk is an 80GB with a formatted dynamic partition which is used for files - this is the disk I want to partition to allow for the install od 2k advanced server.

How do I do this without deleting existing data?

Thanks

NW

You can do it with two hard drives by telling the bios (computer setup) which ide device to boot from.

You can even do it with one hard drive. Install the server on a primary partition that uses a percentage of your hard drive. Create another primary partition on the hard drive with disk management. Format the disk. Now set the second primary partition as the active partition. Reboot. Install your second operating system.

To switch back and forth, you must set the primary partition to the one that holds the operating system you wish to use. 2000 will do this with disk management. You can even do it with a 98 boot disk using FDISK.EXE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back