Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Win2k3 via CD on PowerEdge 4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReK410

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
US
Hi All,
I've got a 4300 with a SCSI cd and RAID1. I've scrubbed and setup the HD's (no partitioning yet) but the mirroring is in place.
I want to boot to the CD to setup the partition and install but when I boot I get this:

SCSI ID 5: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE
A BOOTABLE CD IS DETECTED IN YOUR CD-ROM DRIVE The boot sections of your bootable CD are:
0: Default Entry

SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED
F1 - continue F2 - setup utility

I know the CD is bootable, I've used it on other machines. If I choose "continue" past that message, I get a "No Boot Sector on Hard Disk" message

I tihnk I'm missing a SCSI setup step somewhere, if anyone could advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a problem with boot order. Hit F2 to enter setup, and make sure the CD rom is listed before the C: drive on the boot order.

Do you have that SCSI CD on it's own controller? You can't put it on the same SCSI controller as the RAID1.

With multiple SCSI controllers installed, only the Primary controller accesses it's BIOS. Other controllers have their BIOS turned off to avoid conflicts.

Have you considered a IDE CD?

External IDE CD-ROM through USB (Lawnboy).
Press F12 at POST and you will be able to boot from External IDE. If not select the CD-ROM external as main in BIOS.

It recognizes the bootable CD

"SCSI ID 5: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE
A BOOTABLE CD IS DETECTED IN YOUR CD-ROM DRIVE The boot sections of your bootable CD are:
0: Default Entry"

It's trying to boot of the hard drive which is not partitioned/has no boot sector

"No Boot Sector on Hard Disk"

This tells me the problem is boot order in bios. The CDROM needs to come before the hard disk to prevent this.

i saw something about 'treating cd as hard disk'?

in the bios for my 2400...

might fix the no boot sector thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back