Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

baha

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a question about the instalation of Win 98 on my pc. I tried to install it first on my pc, but the computer could not find the CDrom, it said can not find OEMCD001, aborting instalation. I took out the hard drive and tried to install Win98 using another PC, on another pc everything went well, but after the instalation was complete and i restarted PC it gave me the following " Type the name of command Interpreter (ex: C:\Windows\command.com)". I typed it but nothing happens. I install hard drive back to my pc, and it does the same stuff.

If you know how i can fix that help me.

Thanks.

baha:

Your first problem seems to be the boot disk. The win 98 bootdisk will contain the command interpreter and a generic cd-rom driver. You can download a workable one from
Start the computer with a known good bootdisk.

For the second problem - you CANNOT install win 98 on one computer and then move the hard drive to another computer and expect it to boot and run. The vmm32.vxd driver file that is created by the initial installation is machine specific and simply will not work on another computer. You must install win98 on the computer that you will be running it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back