Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Visual Studio.net with Non-Admin Privilges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSkeen78

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2004
US
I am isntalling the Visual Studio.net package and I need to do so for a User with Non-Administrative Privilleges. i went to the Microsoft Site:
I followed the instructions:
Adding your account to less-privileged groups
Confirm that the account that will be your primary login in the future is not a member of the Power Users group.
The Power Users group is effectively the Administrators group, because it has write access to all of HKLM\Software and the Program Files directory, by default.

Under the Local Users and Groups node, choose the Groups folder.
Double-click the Power Users group.
If your account or a group containing your account is listed in the Members list box, select that entry.
Choose Remove.
Add the account to the Users group.
Add the account to the Debugger Users group.
Remove the account from the Administrators group.

But When the User attempted to run .Net it would fail on load. ( It works fine as an Admin).

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Thank you in advanced.

Only one.
Remove the software
Reboot
Make user admin
Log user in
Install software
Let user use software once
Remove user from admin group
Log off log on (best to reboot though)
Retry software as "standard user"

You will probably find that the software installed will work for only that user (and Admins). If you want to make it available to ALL standard users you'll need to use registry monitoring utilities to find out which keys to unlock. I find Regmon to be really good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back