Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing VB App on Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffCarlin

Programmer
Aug 16, 2001
US
We have an app in VB6 that is running on a number of Win2K boxes. Only those users who have Admin rights can run the app successfully. The others get "xxxx.ocx not found" or similar errors, even though we can see the files in their System32 folders.

I think the network administrators have caused this problem in some way, but I have nothing to back me up. Has anyone run into this before?

(BTW, only admins have installed the apps on each machine)

Just a guess, but maybe the file permissions on some of
the installed files need to be changed to allow execution
by everyone.
This would probably have to be done by an administrator.

The problem is caused by permissatory rights during installation of the program. During installation of either your distributed VB app (if you used the packaging and deployment wizard, for example), you must be logged-in as the operator which will use the program. If you log in as the Administrator for installation, anyone should be able to use the app. If you are logged in as a specific user when you install (and thus register all OCX's), then only that user and the Administrator may use that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back