Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing UNIX dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolwol

MIS
Apr 3, 2006
US
I am using Knoppix and a book "Unix in 24 Hours" but to run any commands in Knoppix I have to type "Sudo" first. Does any one know which version of Unix most companies are using and if so is there a way to dual boot with Windows XP?

Thanks in Advance,

Since most *nixes are associated with proprietary hardware (pSeries->AIX, HP9000->HP/UX SUN Sparc->Solaris. The only way to dual boot is to use an x86 based *nix like Linux (from the 100s of flavors), BSD (of the many flavors) and even Solaris on Intel
If you don't want to dual boot and you want to experiment without messing with your machine, you can install the free VMware server and install the OS as VMs
On my Lenovo 3000 laptop I have virtualized, RHEL5, SuSE Ent 10 and Solaris 10 (intel)

There a plenty of resources to help you get started which are a google search away

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back