Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Ubuntu on Win10 via Bash, I have a question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
I found this interesting tutorial on how to install Ubuntu on Windows.
I was just getting started when the first popup window said:
insiderprev.JPG

Unfortunately this PC I'm using is the "family pc", IT IS our "everyday computer".
Hence, the above could be a problem.
I thought I could just "selectively" install Ubuntu, and nothing else.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys :)

JDL

hit cancel......If you have a spare hdd lying around, dual boot the pre-release of windows 10 with linux, also, know it is not fully implemented and a lot of things don't work right yet. I do not have it, but a friend is playing around with it, and he had to wipe the partition and start over as he kept getting kernel panics in ubuntu.

Instead of installing a dualboot, you could use a VM? You could install Ubuntu as a VM in HyperV. That way, you could have hyperV and the VM running while someone is using the PC and then access it remotely from another, possibly low powered PC. If you do not wish to use HyperV, you could use VMWare Player or Virtual Box.

I am so glad I asked!
This certainly sheds a bright light on my path :)
rclark250, this is great to know NOW, before I try. Now I definitely won't bother, for now.
xwb, would you say Ubuntu runs as fast and stable via VM, as opposed to from dual boot?

Not quite sure why you seem to be using fast ring updates on your family, everyday PC.

I'm not. I was only considering it (while I was too ignorant to know better). I'm no longer considering it though ;)

Not as fast on a VM but quite stable. If you access it via RDP (you need to install xrdp on Ubuntu) or VNC (you need to install VNC on the remoting end).

It only gets unstable if you try running another VM provider on it. For instance, you can't run VMWare and VirtualBox together. That will create an instant BSOD. Also remember to shutdown/suspend the VM before you shutdown the machine. The big advantage of suspending is that when you power the VM up again, you can continue from where you left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back