Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Tiger on a Leopard machine - how? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stla

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2003
DE
I have just received a new MacBook Pro with preinstalled Leopard.

I wish however to use the Tiger.

It won't however let me boot from the Tiger DVD nor select it (under Leopard) as a start up disk.

I have tried pressing 'C' when rebooting and also 'option' to no avail.

Any ideas

insert the dvd and once it mounts the install folder should open double click the install mac os x icon. It will then reboot and install.

If your macbook is unmodified you should be ok to upgrade as per the dvd but if the os is tweaked the install may fail so it maybe best to choose the archive & erase option.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

Thanks.

The DVD mounts and opens as you predicted however 'double-clicking' on the install icon results in the error message: 'Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this Mac'.

Could it be that this version of Tiger is not 'suitable'? ie. could this be a non-Intel version of Tiger?

There will only be 1 version of Tiger.

Could it be that the install media is meant for a different model of Mac?

It could also be that it won't let you 'downgrade'.
Try booting directly from the DVD by restarting with the DVD in the drive and holding down.... C (I think - I can't remember!)

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Hi,

I have a boxed set of 10.4.6 Tiger. It mounts the DVD but won't boot from it despite 'C' or 'option' key.

Have tried Tiger DVD from MacPro Intel desktop. Although it recognises the DVD when booting, it 'grey-screens'.

Any ideas?

have just tried my tiger cd on my leopard macbook and it will run the install ok so you should be able to downgrade. There is only one install disk type as it will work out the hardware and install as necessary.

Will it boot from the leopard dvd?

I've just noticed your other post about a decomisssioned desktop. I don't think you can use the install cd from a desktop on a macbook.

Yes, boots fine from the Leopard DVD.

My line of thinking is that the boxed Tiger I have (10.4.6) was made before Intel processors were on the market of maybe MacBook Pros?

Best regards

I think biglebowski has nailed the problem; you'll need either a retail copy of Tiger or an install CD for a MB/MBP.
If you've a firewire cable and the MacPro, have you tried booting the MacBookPro as a target disk for the MacPro and installing Tiger from the MacPro to the MBP?
If it doesn't work and corrupts the existing Leopard install, you can at least re-install it from the supplied restore disks.
However, there'll still be the long-term issue of install should you need to re-install Tiger in the future. I'd go with the plan of acquiring 'correct' media.

soi la, soi carré

I don't think you can use the install cd from a desktop on a macbook.

Could it be that the install media is meant for a different model of Mac?

If I recall correctly there was a time when Apple produced install media that checked the machine it was installing on.
So a System CD for a G4 Desktop wouldn't work on a G4 Powerbook.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but certainly some install disks ONLY work on a particular model of Mac.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Just to close this case off; I purchased Tiger DVDs specific for MacBook Pro.

The installation worked perfectly.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back