Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SQL Server 2005 x64 Client on 32-bit Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2002
US
We have the 64-bit SQL Server 2005 install CDs. A new application we purchased asks that we install the Client Connectivity Components on our Citrix servers and fat installs, which are 32-bit. We can't get past even the first splash screen of the CD. It brings up a scripting error. Something close to: the image is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine.

At the recommendation of the software vendor, we installed the Office XP Tool: Web Components. That didn't help anything.

Any thoughts?

Devin

64 bit software requires 64 bit hardware. If your hardware is 32 bit, it won't work. Sorry. You'll need to get 32 bit SQL Server software.

Of course, I'm assuming your hardware is 32 bit because you didn't mention specifically that you have 64 bit hardware. If you don't know what hardware you have, assume 32 bit because 64 bit is so much more expensive than 32 bit and requires special request to get from most vendors.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

If you purcahsed the software through an open lincese agreement you can purchase just the SQL 2005 32bit media and have it shipped to you. If you purchased it via a reseller you'll need to contact them and see if they can be of any assistance. If you purchased a retail box copy, you will probably need to purchase the 32bit copy to get the media.

If you have access to MSDN you can download the developer edition and install just the client tools on the machines that need it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back