Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SQL Query Analyzer & Enterprise Manager on Workstation? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssckan

Programmer
Jun 7, 2004
US
I am very new to SQL. We have a SBS 2003 with SQL installed. I currently use Remote Desktop from my workstation to query and maintain the server databases. Can I install the Client Tools (Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager) onto my workstation and attach to the server? Preferably without disrupting MSDE running on my workstation.

You could do that depending on how you connect to the remote pc. If you have a VPN connection, then yes you can do that.

The server and workstations are within the same building. What is the normal/best method of maintaining the server databases? Is the installation of Query Analyzer on a workstation fairly straight forward?

yes.

Pop in the cd and only install the client tools. This will not cause any problems for your local MSDE. In fact, you'll be able to use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer to connect to your local copy of MSDE in addition to connecting to your SBS 2003 database.

There are a couple potential problems, but you probably won't experience them. If you can't connect to the server database after installing the client tools, post bak here with more info.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thanks for your help, it worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back