Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SQL 2000 Standard edition on a 'big' server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenzo

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have recently ordered a dual processor server with 4GB RAM which I had intended running SQL 2000 Standard Edition on.
However, I have read (only this morning, and AFTER I had already placed the server order!!)that 2GB RAM is the most SQL 2000 Standard will support.
What will happen if I try to install it on a server with 4GB?? Will it be possible to run Standard Edition on a server with 4GB RAM??
Quick response would be appreciated, in case I need to cancel the server order!!!

Help!

I'm replying to my own thread here (which is a little sad) just to update anyone who maybe has a similar question in the future.
I have been assured that there will be no problem running SQL 2000 Standard Edition on a server with 4GB RAM - the only drawback is that SQL will only utilise a maximum of 2GB. I guess that leaves 2GB for other applications and the operating system, in my case.

Hope this will be of some help to someone, one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back