Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SP3 from SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablonhd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2010
CA
I have found one thread here that speaks to installing the latest service pack directly with out each release in between. I just want to double check my process here.

My current environment is as follows:

Exchange 2010 SP1.

Next available update via window update is Rollup 7-v2 for SP1 & Rollup 8 for SP1​

I intend to download SP3 from install that to get current then install any rollups available via windows update.

Understanding that good backups should be taken before I begin, I want to be doubly sure that proceeding with this process is not fundamentally flawed.

Any advice and feedback will be welcomed.

Yes, that's right. Just go to the latest service pack, and then install the highest rollup after that.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

One small item to note is that if you are using Forefront for Exchange you may need to disconnect that from the Information Store and/or Transport service before doing any updates if going from SP1.

One of the Exchange rollups did change that requirement but I can't remember if that was before or after SP3 so better safe than sorry.

Neill

One last question...

My Exchange server is running a DC role as well. (NOT FSMO) I know it is a terrible practice... I inherited the set up.

Should I be concerned with any issues with the updates.

No. The only thing I would do is set the System Attendant and Information Store services to Automatic (Delayed Start) instead of Automatic, since the DC role causes delays that can lead to those services not starting properly.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hello all the update went well. No issues to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back