Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Software on W98 with User Profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfoldesi

MIS
May 25, 2000
US
Question, I have some W98 desktops with user profiles enabled. These desktops may have anywhere between 10 and 15 user profiles set up on them. I installed Office XP under my user profile. I then placed a shortcut to the Office Apps in the All Users\Desktop folder so each user would have a shortcut to the Apps. When other users log on and start Office XP a message appears stating Office needs to be installed. How do I install Office on an PC that has user profiles enabled and have the software available for each user profile ?

Are environment is Netware and we do not use Zenworks.

Thanks for the help.

Office xp on Windows 98.. good luck.
No, speaking seriously: as you use w98, your network environnment is not involved. But it doesn't help at all to only put the shortcut in the all users-folder. You need to launch install for each profile.

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

Explanation from Microsoft:

"[blue]When another user logs on, none of the relevant registry information or shortcuts exist for them[/blue]"

The only way out of that is to setup a "shared" start menu among all user profiles.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

thx for the shortcut, I supposed that only the first option (user profiles not turned on) and the last (user profiles turned on and per user start menu) exist. Always good to know something new

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

cdogg, Thanks for the link. Good info. It's been a while since I've had to do anything with W98 and we all know what you don't use you sometimes forget.

Thanks agian,

Lfoldesi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back