Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing software - keeps installing each time I log in. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwadhwani

MIS
Apr 10, 2001
GB
I have Win2k professional and have installed Office 2k as the Local Administrator. When I login in as a domain user and try to open an Office program, the system keeps asking me for the installation disks. Then when I press cancel it opens up the Office Program, but treats it as a fresh install each time, so none of my history is there or customised tool bars etc. Can you help me please??? I'm also having the same problem with NT4 clients. Going crazy...X-)

what is happening is even though it has been installed it still usually needs the disks running for the first time depending on the type of install done maybe do a complete install and find out what happens then instead of cancelling maybe put the disk(s) in again to see if it goes away

I just ran into this sort of problem and finally got it resolved.

I found 2 different issues related to these type of problems. The resolution of your specific issue might be either one of these.

1. I was periodically erasing the Recent folder under ...\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft so that I didn't have to look at all of the last entered files and, as a result, I was somehow corrupting something that Word needed. The consequence was that the first time I went into Word after clearing out this directory and then attempted to Open a file, I would get an error message saying that this feature was no longer available and do I want to restore it from the Installation disks. When I quit clearing out the directory the problem went away.

2. This other problem occured at unusual times such as going into Windows 2000 Search or other programs that I had. It took a massive un-install of Office, a COMPLETE manual purge of the Windows registry of everything related to Office not removed by the un-install using Regedit, a Re-install of Win 2K, updating Win 2K service pack 2, running Regclean and Norton Utilities to &quot;clean house&quot; and finally re-installing Office 2000. Was all of that necessary? Who knows? No one on any other forum had any more specific suggestions and/or answers and it worked.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr

I had the same problem with office. Uninstalled and did
another clean install and no more problems. Don't know why.
However, member of groups other that Administrator can
open Office apps but as soon as they start to type anything it kicks them out back to the desktop with no error messages. Any help with this?

Yup - when you install it, do a custom install and choose &quot;run all from My Computer&quot; when the list of programs you can choose from pops up.

That runs the install from your local hard drive and saves the .msi file you need. If you install over a network or CDrom and dont select this option - it looks for the .msi file on the network location or CD drive - but cant write to it...hence the prompts every time.

&quot;Run all from my computer&quot; - will turn all the icons white instead of grey..then click on the programs you dont want (like access) and select &quot;not installed&quot; to place an X onto it.

That sould take care of it. The .msi will be a temp file on that machine and should not be deleted btw.

Hope that takes care of it for ya's. :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

kwadhwani,
I feel your pain. We have been sorting this out for quite awhile now. What office is looking for is a file called data1.msi The only way we've found around this is to edit the registry and change where windows is looking for the profile to be stored which will cure your microsoft blues.
This link will explain it in detail.

pbxman,
If you could direct me do where that file is stored locally, I would apperciate it. We install office just as you describe and had to edit the registry to fix this problem.
Looking for an alternative...

Seems as though another program had it's .msi in there first, so office doesnt use the right one. First off - run office setup again, and completely remove it. Then,
go into c:\documents and settings\&quot;account you use to install office&quot;\local settings\temp, and select all and delete the entire directory's contents.

Then run office setup again. When its finished installing..open each program in office under the admin account still. Then have another user logon to try it. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I had this. What a pain. I uninstalled Office 2000, then installed and ran the Office erazor utility ( free from Microsoft). Then rebooted, and reinstaled Office. It &quot;remembered&quot; my shortcut bar exactly.

aspectz: Do you have the link for the Office erazor utility
and is that, in fact, how you spell it? I want to try that
as I have tried the custom install to &quot;run all from my computer&quot; and that didn't work. Thanks!!!!

Thanks for your responses...got one computer working ok so far. Windows 2000 is better at handling this issue! Either way it's a pain. Thanks for all your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back