Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Software from a Server to Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanGilbreth

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
I work in an architectural office and there are many different workstations that need both specific and general software loaded onto each of them.

Usually I would go to each machine and manually install the software, but now that the number of machines and software is increasing, it is more time-consuming and tedious to have to do this.

I am aware that it is possible to allow our server to install and manage software on each workstation, but I have absolutely no idea on how I would go about this.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Dakota, you didn't indicate as to what type of environment you are running (Domain/Workgroup) what type of server/workstation OSses you are running etc.
There are many tools out there that will peform software distribution Landesk, Novell Zenworks, etc. If you are a pure Windows shop running AD, you can accomplish what you need for the most part through group policy
HTH

Thanks for your response.

I am not too knowledgeable about the server (I am not the proper I.T. technician), but I know we are running Windows Server 2003 on a domain.

If you need any more information I can try and obtain it.

Well in that case if your workstations are all running Windows and are on the domain then you can most certainly leverage group policy for your software distribution. You may want to talk to your IT tech/consultant about looking into this.

Get Altiris Deployment Solution - it's the bee's knee's.

Okay, I have Group Policy Objects in the Group Policy Management program with a .msi assigned under Computer Configuration > Software Settings > Software Installations.

However, the software still hasn't been installed on the workstations even after restarts.

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

You haven't provided enough info. What OU does the GPO target? What happens when you run gpresult from the workstation?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back