Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Software accross Multple User Accounts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSRebeck1965

Technical User
Dec 4, 2006
I am totally new to MAC OS X (or any other version) and the iMacs we have are set up with multiple user accounts (I didn't do it). The problem I am having, it will not let me install Open Office to the users unless I install on each one seperatly. Is there a way I can install it once, in the admin acct and have it available to all others? The person who set this all up apparently has no problem wasting time, but I just want it done. We have 22 iMacs with 12 users per.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Install it in hard drive/applications while logged in as administrator. There is absolutely no reason that applications should be installed in individual user folders.

This will make it available to all users as long as each user account has not had application limits placed on them. This can be seen in System Prefs/Users and clicking on any standard user account and then hitting the Limitations button. There, you will see if the account has any limits, including limits to apps. If yes, you can allow use of all apps or specify, including Open Office.

You might want to check out Neo Office which is a Mac version on OO and does not require X11 (formerly X windows) to operate.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Made a goof. I meant System Prefs/Accounts, not Users.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

There is still some customization needed for each user, even if the software is installed for all users.

When first run, OpenOffice must create preferences for the active user. It will prompt the user to enter their name and to agree to a license. Then it asks the user to register online (or claim that they already registered or do not want to register).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back