Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SCSI hard disk on Raid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALICKA

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
HK
Hi
I have 2 18GB Hard disk on dell power edge 4600
configured as Raid1
I need to install additional hard disk will it auto detect from dell open manager program?
When i checked with dell they said for Raid 1 Hard disk to be connected in Pair.
Currently i have 1 73gb Scsi hard disk do i need to get one more to configure as one.
any relevent information is higly appreciated.
Thanks

-Mal

I might first ask why do you need to install the 73g drive? If it is for the purpose of gaining more HD space I don't believe it will work under RAID1. RAID1 is commonly known as Mirroring (or Mirroring/Duplexing). This is where two identical drives are used and the data from primary drive is mirrored on the secondary drive. So if one of the drives goes belly up the other drive will continue on until you can replace the bad one. Here is a link that will explain it better than I can, and hopefully answer your question about the addition of other drives. Have a good one!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Hi there
Yes When server was brought it was conigured as Raid 1 Mirroring.
So i want to add another hard disk for extra space.
my question is Can i add adition hard disk without mirroring or since already configure as raid 1 i need to have two.
So if i add 2 & configure from Dell utility program will performance degrade
thanks

-Mal

You can add in a 3rd physical drive and it will be detected and usable without having to configure it as a RAID drive. This 3rd drive won't have any fault tolerance though. Performance won't be affected.

If you want to continue to have fault tolerance on the new drive, you'll need to install them in pairs (buy a second 73GB drive).

At that point you'll have two choices, from the RAID controller's point of view:
1) Extend the logical disk (by 73GB)
2) Create a new 73GB logical disk

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back