Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing reporting server on another server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2003
US
Hi we have installed reporting services on our backend database sql server. The Report Server lies on this database. we also installed it succesfully on our front end IIS box which points back to the SQL reporting services. These two machines are NOT in the same domain and everything works. yet whenever i try to recreate this setup for a mirror site, during the install of sql reporting services on the front end IIS box I get the message "Cannot connect to the SQL server instance <servername>. Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason:Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection" I did not receive this message when I first set this up, yet now i receive this. Now when i look over the microsoft documentation it says you cant accomplish this unless the two servers are on the same domain. Has anybody set this up without the computer being on the same domain? my searches for the error message point to enabling Mixed Authentication on the SQL server, which I already have. Any ideas?

Try enabling Pass-Through Security in your two domains. In order to accomplish this, you'll need identical accounts with identical passwords both on the Windows domain and on the SQL Server boxes.

You should be able to Google "Pass Through Security" or "Pass Thru Security" for more details too.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

You may have to use SQL authentication rather than Windows Integrated Authentication.

Hey all thanks for the help. It turns out that my workgroup names were accidently named differently on both computers. You have to have the same workgroup, and when running the install you have to be logged in both machines with the same username and same password as stated in previous two posts, and you can only do this with SQL authentication if you are not on a domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back