Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing Ram. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

learningcurb

Technical User
Nov 5, 2007
CA
Hi Guys .
I purchase a new computer Compaq Parsario with Windows Vista , This Computer has 2 Sticks of 512 Ram and it runs to me pretty slow.I purchase (1GB ) more of Ram to try and improve the performance. My question to you is, can i install this ram in the third open slot, or do i have to move one of the 512 to the third slot and put the (1GB)in the first slot .

Thanks again .
Learningcurb.

try it. it'll work or it won't.

it may be faster overall to set it up correctly, as the cpu will operate at the speed of the lowest memory/slot

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Depends on speed of the ram. It runs in speeds of GHZ and if you are installing RAM it will go with the speed of slower RAM.

So if I had ram that ran at 800GHZ and I installed RAM of 400GHZ. Then it will go at 400GHZ.

If I install RAM that is 400GHZ and I have 800ghz RAM then it will go at 400GHZ.

i.e., it will go at the slowest RAM speed.

Best bet is to get the RAM specs, either from the manufacturers or elsewhere?

learningcurb Yup! join the club! many users buying new machines have quickly realized that 1gig in only just enough to run Vista.
I agree with the others but will add that it shouldn't make any difference where the extra 1gig stick goes.
I will add however: that most machines use dual channel memory technology so fitting the odd 1gig module with default the system to single channel mode. This will only knock 2/3% off the systems overall performance and it will certainly be better with the extra ram running single channel than without.
Big companies like Compaq don't tend to be forward thinking, as your desktop undoubtedly would have been better off with a single 1gig module as far as upgrading is concerned but there you go.
The situation with laptops is even worse, as they often just have the two slots, this means someone wishing to keep dual channel mode has to first ditch both 512mb modules...bugger and as 1gig is fairly common and Vista is the norm, this is happening a lot now.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back