Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing python, file dependencies problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccook123

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2009
US
I'm trying to install python off of the linux_apps disk for AIX. My problem is that the install is not resolving the following dependencies:

libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.7) is needed by python-2.3.4-2
libdb-3.3.a(libdb-3.3.so.0) is needed by python-2.3.4-2
libgdbm.a(libgdbm.so.3) is needed by python-2.3.4-2
libssl.a(libssl.so.0.9.7) is needed by python-2.3.4-2

However, I know I have these installed just newer versions of the files.

# find / -name libssl.a
/opt/pware/lib/libssl.a
/usr/lib/libssl.a
# find / -name libcrypto.a
/opt/pware/lib/libcrypto.a
/usr/lib/libcrypto.a

# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008

# ldd /usr/bin/openssl
/usr/bin/openssl needs:
/usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
/usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
/usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_xpg5.o)
*****/usr/lib/libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.8)*
/unix
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)

the OpenSSL 0.9.8 came from sourceforge, and I'm wondering if for some reason when I installed this updated package if it didn't register(for lack of a better term) everything correctly? However all of my ssl and ssh stuff works just fine.

I should be able to install the python with these newer files (I think) or am I really required to have those older versions of the files?

In my original post I said I got OpenSSL from sourceforge, that is not correct, I pulled openssh from sourceforge, the OpenSSL is from IBM.

Has anyone ever ran in to a problem where they had a newer version of a dependency and as a result something wouldn't install?

I ended up scrapping the linux tools disk and just downloaded Activestate python for aix. I couldn't use the basic tar command to uncompress it though, I had to use GNU tar /opt/freeware/bin/tar.

But problem solved and I now have a newer version of python on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back