Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALLING PRINTER - NOT LISTED IN WIZARD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arfjay

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
CA
I have a Windows 95 Thinkpad Laptop that needs to print to a HP Deskjet 670C and this Printer is not listed in the 'ADD Printer' wizard. I have downloaded the correct driver from the HP site but cannot get the Wizard to recognize it because it cannot 'see' the correct Printer.

I suspect I am missing something simple but currently it is beyond me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Ron

This might sound like I am trying to be a prick but I am not. When you go through the wizard, it should have a have disk option for the driver. Once you get to your floppy drive or whatever location you extracted the driver to and choose the driver it is looking for, you should then be presented with the printer.

I also have an HP670c printer I use. I have a set of drivers if you need them, just give me your email addy and I will send.

HI ARFJAY,

I agree with Comtec17. One other point is to be sure you have an IEEE bidirectional printer cable and not one of the older ones. This is required if the computer is to be able to interrogate the printer.

GrandpaCarl

Thank you comtec17 and grandpacarl. I am not presented with the printer - it says something about not being able to find the printer [because I cannot 'pick' it from the wizard list]. I found the driver on the HP site - and thanks for the input. Is there some way of loading the Printer without the Wizard??

I did not know about the bidirectional cables. Now I know why when I tried to load the printer directly from the HP site it could not 'find' the printer. Is this type of cable cucial to actually printing or is it just for the troubleshooting and diagnostic features?

HI ARTJAY,

The bidirectional cable allows communications from the printer back to the computer, such as ink problems (in some printers) native fonts, etc. Note that just because the wizard can't find a matching name for your printer does not necessarily mean that you aren't communicating with an O.K. cable, you just need to tell the print install wiz that you have a disk, then tell the computer where it is.

Some printer installation programs from HP will install the printer drivers without the wizard.

GrandpaCarl

Hey Ron,
GrandpaCarl is correct. In this case the HP 670 Driver does not install without choosing the Have Disk option in the wizard. You must extract the driver to a temp directory then in the wizard choose Have Disk, and browse to the directory where you extracted the driver to. The HP 670 will not show up until you point it in the right direction.

Hi Ron, one thing to add. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your HP670c as there is an issue between this printer and Thinkpads.If you don't have the latest driver the floppy drive stops working and a new instalation of windows is needed. I know from experience this to be the case. But like I say if you have the latest download then there is no problem.

Steve

Thanks guys for your quick responses. I am at the office now and the application I am talking about is at home so I'll just get a procedure straight and then try it tonight at home.

I downloaded the driver to my 'temporary internet folder' and copied it to a 'driver' folder on my 'c' drive so what I will do is;

[1] in the printer wizard click add printer
[2] choose HP on the left side of the screen
[3] my choices on the right side DO NOT include the deskjet 670C and I appear to HAVE to have something highlighted so so far I have chosen both the most recent and the oldest 'Deskjet' ones and neither have worked.
[4] Then I click on have disk and get the option to browse - I have done this and browsed to the driver on the 'c' drive and the error message tells me something like it does not recognize the printer [I am assuming because I cannot locate it in [3] above]

So, it appears to me that one of 2 things is wrong

[a] I don't know how to make the 670 appear on the wizard driver list
maybe the driver I downloaded is not being recognized from where I copied it to ??

Any ideas?

HI ARTJAY,

I checked my old computer with Win95C on it and the closest printer wich could do in a pinch is HP550c.

Go to
to pick up the latest driver that will work on WIN95 and Win98. This is version 11.0 (watch out that you don't get the version 11 one for Win NT!

The file is dj516en.exe, which you can download, then execute, or you can execute from the website if you are using IE. File size is 4.63MB. If you download, just download it to any convenient spot and double click from windows explorer. Follow instructions if any.

GrandpaCarl

Once you install and execute this program, you should not have to use printer wizard!

This should do your trick.

GrandpaCarl

Your problem is that you have not extracted the files out of the download you got. It is a compressed file, like a zip file. Double click on it, it will self extract. Then do the "have disk" option and you will see it in the folder you extracted to.

JON

Thanks everyone for all your help. From Explorer, once I had downloaded and extracted the folders I ended up finding the 'setup' file in the Disk One folder and it just loaded the printer to the 'Printers' settings by itself.

It works just fine - I may at some point even get a bi-directional printer cable.. Thanks again.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back