Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Print Server - CD not accepted? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acent

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
US
Greetings,

I'm trying to install a Print Server Role to my 2003 R2 x64 server. When I try and add the role, it prompts me for the CD, but does not accept the CD. I can browse to the cd and find the exact file it wants, but it does not accept it. I have tried the following:
sfc /scannow
copying the cd to the hard drive
canceling the file copy - this just canceled the whole thing

Does anyone know if I can download the files? Can I get ahold of another CD somewhere?

Thanks for helping me.

"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid."
-Murphy's Military Laws

Usually 2003 would handle being a print server pretty much out of the box. It's 2008 which more likes to install components using "roles". Could you click start -> run -> and type "winver"? Let us know what service pack you're running?

Thanks for the reply.

I am running Service Pack 2.

I can share the printer off and all just fine. what I want to do is an auto install of the printer, and from what I can tell, I have to add the print server role and then go into the printmanagement.mmc to accomplish the auto install.

Thanks,

-Murphy's Military Laws

I'm familiar with auto install, but it doesn't jive with what you're saying.

You mean you want to do an installation on another client? Like you want XP machines to automatically get drivers from this server? Maybe I'm not clear on what you're trying to do exactly. What do you want to happen when you're done?

Gotcha!
There should be two disks which ship with Server 2003 R2, CD1 which is the 2003 slipstream with SP1 and a disk 2, which has the R2 technologies. Try to look for the file on the 2nd disk and see what that gets you. It may be choking on the SP level of the file in question, if it's coming from CD1.

OK, I did as directed and was only able to find the CACHE.DN_ file on the first CD. I tried searching for CACHE*.*.

Thanks,

-Murphy's Military Laws

You could get a copy of the CD by going to the Microsoft downloads section of the volume license portal. I'll try to check a server and see what details I can gather.

You might have installed CD 1 but never actually ran the setup on disk 2, it's possible that's causing a problem as well.

Install on the second CD? I'll try that.

Thanks again for the help.

-Murphy's Military Laws

The fun continues.... I tried to install the second CD, but got an error about the service pack not being able to e uninstalled. It gave me the option of forcing the install, but I declined the offer. My guess was that it could do more harm than good to do so.

Thanks for the help.

-Murphy's Military Laws

The uninstallation routine on a SP is ugly (each individual update has to be pulled out in the proper order).

I'd image the server and pull them out one at a time if necessary. You could always Gen a virtual server as an image of this one and try it. It may go smoothly.

If the virtual server does it, then try the same thing in real life, although I'd get an image first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back