Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing php and mysql problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEUTA

Programmer
Feb 1, 2005
RO
hello everybody!

i've installed mysql and php but not apache. my computer is connected to a server so i thogth i don't need a served installed.
was i right? because php is not working
another problem i think i have is with the folder in wich i have my site. the folder was build by iis and it doesn't have mysql and php in it. is that a problem?
should i install them in it?
thanks!

if you want to use php as an html preprocessor then you must bind it to a webserver. typically this means having a server on the same physical machine.

php can work fine with IIS if that is what you have installed. the instructions that come with php if you download it in zip format without the installer are excellent and contain all the information you need.

so i have to install php and mysql directly in the server? if i do that can i see the php files from my computer?

you do not have to have mysql on the same server as php, but if you are putting together a development environment then that's a good start.

i'm not sure how to answer your second question. the trite answer is "yes" but i'm not sure whether your question might indicate a lack of knowledge about what php actually is/does in which case i'd advise you to spend some time in the php manual acclimatising yourself to its abilities. it is a server side programming language. you do not need php installed on your computer to view php pages on the web. you typically only need it if you want to develop and host php web pages or applications on your computer.

there are "all in one" packages that install apache, mysql and php in one installer. these are call WAMP if you are on windows and LAMP if Linux. I don't recommend these as ideally you would install each from source or (on windows) from pre-compiled binaries of each. I also like the integration of IIS with windows and so prefer developing on windows boxes under IIS rather than apache.

Thank you for answering me. The second question is missunderstanding because i'm not an expert on english so ...
I know what php does but i want to know if i can create the php files in my computer and the php and mysql to be installed on the server. I have to mention that the server in on another computer.

you can write php in any text editor. there is an faq in this forum which sets out those editors that users have found useful.

it is possible to have the php files used by a server to be on another computer. but I can't believe it would be normally desirable or efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back