Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing OSs on CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassified

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Ok, this is going to sound stupid to most of you, but would like toask it any way. This is it, I just got a copy of LinuxDEMO, for you guys that don't what that is, it is a full running version of linux that runs from a bootable CD.
Thats right you don't need a harddrive, but if you do have a harddrive you can anchor it to it so that it will run faster, but without ever installing linux. Now, my question is, is there a way to do this with windows??? I got Win3.1, Win95, and Win98 and think it would be neat to this for learning and fun. IS THERE A WAY????????

For anyone wanting to try LinuxDEMO just do a search for it on the web it is a 800mb download but FREE.

PS. If anyone knows how to do this, and would like to e-mail to me please send to urhassified@yahoo.com with the subject of "win on cd"

Most if not all of the versions of Windows can't be installed to 'removeable' media such as CDs and Zip disks. I tried Win95 on a Zip disk but it wouldn't install. Appears to me the OS wants to be in a fixed location and wants to be able to write to the registry and *.ini files whenever necessary, which with a CD-ROM/CD-R is impossible. In addition, the BIOS would have to be new enough to have a device setting for a bootable CD.

I did manage to put Win95 on an LS120 superdisk once (ran extremey slowly!). I can't see why you couldn't put windows on a CD, but as Berton says, it will be wanting to write to disk, so don't know if it would actually run at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back