Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Oracle at a server!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvia23

Technical User
May 22, 2003
ES
Hello!!!
I need install Oracle at a server Dell and I don´t know what version I need and if I need create an special partition to install Oracle. If you could give me some reference manual or some advice to begin.
Thanks a lot!!!
Silvia

Silvia,

I assume that you want to install Oracle on Linux. You need to setup the home directory for oracle and have enough disk space for oracle binaries etc. You also need to create enough shared memory to be able to start Oracle instance. Before going any further tell us how much disk space and RAM you have on your DEll machine and which version of Linux you are running. We will give you further instructions

No, I haven't linux, the operating system at the server is Windows 2000 server and the server is a Dell PowerVault 75xN NAS Cluster which will be used by a LAN.
I'm really lost, if you could help me to begin at least it would be great.
Thanks a lot for your cooperation,

Silvia

Silvia,

You've got quite a bit to learn.

Start by just running through the standard installation, accept all the defaults, and let it create the default database. This probably won't give you exactly what you want, but it will get you onto the learning curve, and give you something to play around with.

Don't expect to get a production system up in a couple of days.

Go for the latest version.

Silvia,

Go to and download the standard edition:
"Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal Edition for Windows NT/2000/XP" version. You need to register there first. Once downloaded, it is very easy to set up. For now don't worry about disk space etc. Obviously you need a directory with few GBs which you should have anyway. It is dead easy. Follow the instruction for installation and if you need help come back.

One comment on the above - Silvia23 says that the computer that the database will be installed on is a server, and Personal Oracle is not licensed to be used as a server. It is only licensed for access from the machine on which it is installed.

You will want to install the latest version for sure. There are 2 flavors to choose from, Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition. Here is a link to a PDF on the Oracle site that has a nice table comparing the features of each. If standard edition will work for you, use it as it is much less expensive than enterprise edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back