Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing on Win11 1

sacsac

Programmer
Dec 10, 2000
GB
I have successfully(?) installed VB6 on my new Win11 machine, with SP6. Two issues though:
1) Although all the SP6 components are there and working, the splash screen doesn't show SP6, and neither does 'About'.
2) I have installed the MSDN help files, but VB6 doesn't seem to link to them.

Any ideas about these minor points?

Hi, you may find "vshelp.dll" in \OS\SYSTEM\ from VB install CD, or download one.
Then, copy it to system32 folder.
Then, open a cmd window via administratorr privileges and type "regsvr32 %yourpath%\vshelp.dll" to regist the dll file.
Then, the msdn help file will link to VB IDE.
F1 key may not work well, menu -> help -> content should be.

Thanks klima - that worked fine. I found vshelp.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS98, and it registered successfully. Help now available in VB6, and the F1 key appears to work too. ALl I need to do now if find out why the 'About' doesn't show SP2 installed, even though the components are there.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS98" is right path.
I have no idea about splash. Could you confirm your control version like this?
Project->Components->control->Microsoft Comm Control 6.0 (SP6)

That does indeed confirm the SP6 controls, and they all work perfectly in my old applications that were built with that. Also in new projects. The mystery is just why in Help/About it doesn't show that SP6 is installed (and neither does the splash screen at start up). It's no big issue, but I'm just intrigued!

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back