Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing on external USB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonydd

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
GB
Hi,
I have already installed PSP7 on the C: hard disk of the computer. I would like to install it also on an external USB drive E: so that I can edit files without leaving a trail for my brother to see what I am doing. However, the installation CD won't allow me to do this. As PSP is already installed I am not offered the option to install again or to select a drive where to install, only to modify the current installation.

Even if I remove the current installation then try to install on E: I will not be offered the option.

Any thoughts? Can I install by copying the program files from C: to E:?

Thanks
Tony

If you plan on running it from the external drive on another PC, then no. PSP will set registry keys, and copy files to other places besides the installation folder. If it can't find them, it won't run.

If you are only going to run it on one PC, from the external drive then yes its possible.

In fact when installing, it should give you the option of choosing where you want it installed.

Perhaps you need to select custom install when it asks to be able to change the path.

In any case I'm unsure what kind of trail you think you'd be leaving when its installed on C:.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back