Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing older version of gcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferumus

Technical User
Jun 5, 2009
CA
Hello,

I am new to the GNU-Linux world. I have installed on my Linux machine gcc-4.2.4 and I would like to convert back to gcc-4.2.0 beacuse of compatibility problems with compiling S-functions in Matlab. Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks,

Fe

The short answer: No
The long answer: Because of all the libraries involved, I don't think this will be a very good idea. The problem may be that some of your shared object libraries are not being found by the compiler at run time. There is a linker that can make this happen. If your are logged in as root, type this command "ldconfig -v" and see if that gets you anywhere. If not, it would be helpful to know the error messages you are getting rather than just saying it is not compatible. I don't mean to harsh your mellow but the reason you haven't had a lot of hits on this thread is because unlike the world of windoze, we seldom suggest reinstalling or rebooting as a solution to any problem. Rather, define the symptoms, then determine the cause by reading error messages and logs. This is the basic information you or anybody you enlist to help you needs to come up with a solution.

If you statically link everything, it won't be dependent upon the DLLs and you can run it anywhere forever. I statically linked a gcc 3.x program and I can run it on RH5 (gcc 2.x), RH9 (gcc 3.x) and FC10 (gcc 4.x).

Having said that, I don't know if s-functions allow static linking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back