Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Novell 6.5 or prior licence on Novell 6 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
GB
Hi, we have a Novell 6 server and recently purchased a 10 user upgrade licence. Novell licencing sells you a licence for 6.5 or prior these days and I've added the licences via imanager without any issues.

However, when a user tries to log on they are not picking up these licences. In the manage licence properties dialog they appear separate from my novell 6 licences.

I'm sure there is a step somewhere I've missed off, but there is no documentation available and trying to search the novell knowledgebase is pretty frustrating.

Any pointers greatfully received.

Tony

Even though they say it's NetWare 6.5 and prior, the license only works for the version it is made for. You will probably need to contact Novell to get a 6.0 license to cover you up until you upgrade.

I'm confused though cause if you already had NetWare 6, how come you don't already have the licenses you need?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks for the reply. We don't have any intention of upgrading to netware 6.5 in the near future - I asked my supplier for netware 6 licences and that is what he supplied me.

We have had an increase in headcount so our 80 user novell licence is not enough - which is why we need more licences.

I also needed 10 new licences and was sent 6.5 licence, I added them just as you did and like you it added separately to the 6.0 Licences and they were not used when users logged on. I contacted my supplier and he checked and confirmed that I should not have been sent 6.5. He then credited me for these licences and I was then sent 10 new 6.0 licences. These added in fine with the other 6.0 licences and have been used when users logged on. So you definitely need 6.0 licences and not 6.5. Hope this helps

Thanks Trebor666 that helped - I just forwarded your answer to my supplier and they are sorting out Netware 6.0 licences now.

Yeah you definitely have to specify which version you want because Novell still sells both. I'm guessing that most suppliers assume you're going to want the latest.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back