Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

MIS
Dec 1, 2000
MX
Hi all,

Well, we just bought a new server. But Ican't install the OS NT 4 server.
When I use the set of 3 disks to prepare for instalation when it gets to the third disk I get a message that my box doesn't have a Hard disk, tough I have one with a primary FAT16 partiotion. and is 18GB. I can "see" my hard disk if I boot from a Win95 boot disk.
When I boot from CD, I got the same message "no hard disk".
When I use the win95 and install the CD driver, then I run "winnt /b" from i386 folder, the CD starts copying all the files needed for the setup, but when I reboot, I got a dump memory message saying that the BOOTABLE_DIVECE_INACCESIBLE.
How can I install NT 4 server? What's wrong?
Thanks for your help.

Does the computer have a scsi card? Or does it have a third party controller card for the IDE (eg Promise card)
If so you will have to install these during the floppy disk set up. When the first disk press F6 several times and a screen will appear where you can load these drivers.

No it doesn't have a scsi card. Tough it has an embedded scsi controller for the hard disks. I only have two PCI cards. My CD is an IDE one, that's why I configure it with win95 boot disk, and is an embedded IDE Controller.
Any other idea?
Thanks

If the drives are hanging off the scsi controller you may need special drivers in order for the NT install to see the drives. Just before setup begins you will see a message that says "Setup is now inspecting your hardware configuration" or something like that. Press f6. Install will load files from the first two disk and then ask you to manually identify your devices. You'll need the drivers for your scsi controller here.

That might help.

Thanks all,

I installed it yesterday. Well, it seems that the inicial partition that compaq creates when you first turn on your server, was created wrong. So all the scsi controllers where wrong. So I deleted the compaq partition and rebooted,and voila it worked. :)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back