Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALLING NEW RAM UPGRADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoiyoi

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
i am trying to install two new ram slots 512mb and 256mb on an existing 256mb on my cpu (dell dimension computer.) could anyone help with a step by step approach on how to do this?
thanks

Ram installation is usually very straight forward...install the two new ram chips into the open ram slots on your mother board. The chips will be oriented with slots so that the ram can only be installed in a certain direction...if in doubt remove the existing 256 chip to see which way it goes in! The ram should slip in and a little pressure is required to snap the chip in place...don't force it as you can cause serious damage to the motherboard and render the pc unusable! Slight pressure is all that is required and you'll hear it snap in place...this is the locking clips moving into postion. Remember to unplug your computer first and then ground your self to the chasis while working inside...touching the case before and while you're installing the chips should do! You can buy a special wrist strap that attaches to the case for a more hands free operation but the above method should work also!

Usually it is best to put the larger ram chip (512) into the 1st slot and the lesser two (256) into the other avaiable slots. Your pc may have two, three or four ram slots depending on the model. Also, I hope when you got more ram that you purchased the proper ram type but I'll assume you either bought the ram from Dell or went to a pc repair/seller and took your guide book so that they sold you the appropriate ram chips.

The guide that comes with the Dell pc should have more detailed info. Without specifics as to what model of Dell I can only surmise what the procedure is for your machine. The above will work on most pc's but each model can present their own unique requirements!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back