Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing new hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkin

Programmer
May 3, 2001
GB
lo everyone :)

k..I'm running a XP1800+ on a Abit Kt7a Raid mobo with 2 hdd's on separate ata 100 channels (both as masters, so I have a primary master and secondary master)
On the other channels I have a cdrw and dvd.

The hdd's are: primary master : 20gig Maxtor Diamondmax plus (ata 100 7200rpm ide)

secondary master: 40gig Maxtor D740X (ata 100/133 7200rpm ide)

The other day I bought another D740X and placed it as primary master replacing the 20gig maxtor.
Later I thought I would run the 20gig as a slave on the secondary ata100 channel.
I re-partitioned the drive and formatted it as I had XP installed on it. Problem is because I had XP installed on it is an active(bootable drive) so even tho I had partioned the new D740X and set it as an active disk and installed XP on it, my PC still tries to boot from the 20gig(secondary slave) and because there is no OS installed on it, it wont boot. I've tried fdisk/mbr and changing the boot up sequence in the BIOS but neither have worked. The only my PC boots up is to unplug the 20gig. Is there anyway I can disable or remove the active status of the 20gig drive?
Sorry for the long message.
Cheers
Jon

Check to see if the 20Gb drive has a jumper set to Master, if so, change it to Slave.

Check to see if the 20Gb drive has a jumper set to Master, if so, change it to Slave.

I set the jumper to slave before I installed it.

Did you go into the BIOS and tell it to redetect all HDD's and make sure that they are what you have plugged in?
I also know that Maxtor has "issues" when you use the hard drives software to format and partition it. Try and use the Maxtor disks software to restore the MBR. Just typing fdisk/mbr wont do it.
Other than that, if the drive is hooked up to the same channel with the same cable as a slave, I dont know.

If HDD is FAT 12/16/32

1: Disconnect the two 40's from the ATA channel to avoid accidental fdisk of incorrect drive.
2: Boot to DOS prompt with boot disk containing fdisk.
3: type fdisk [enter]
4: choose option 3
5: choose option 1
6: Follow directions to remove partition and say y
7: [Esc]
8: [Esc]
9: [Esc]
10 Plug back in the 2 40's, reboot, and partition and format from Administrative tools-->Disk Management

Good Luck
PEACE
Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back