Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Network Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchiang12

MIS
Oct 17, 2006
US
We need to install network card to our AIX (OS 5.3) machine.
We are on the assumption of just plug those cards in and run cfgmgr.

But the IBM reps are saying we need to run LPAR also?

Just a bit confused... I did some research on the web but didn't find anything useful, can someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you

What model and type of server are you running? Is this an additional or a replacement NIC? This should help.

we are on AIX p670. 5.3 for the operating system.
I guess cfgmgr will be step 1..
If I am going to use all 4 as full adapter cards (not sharing them), I would allocate adapter cards(via HMC) as needed to each LPAR.
But how do I config the LPAR?

In my case i had a p570 and a requirement raised to add an FC adapter so i had first to add the empty slot to an LPAR's profile, reboot the LPAR and go to the diagnostic then add the PCI (or something like that) and then continue booting and that's it! it was there working.

Regards,
Khalid

How did you config the LPAR? do you go through SMIT or HMC?
I have no idea how to config LPAR...

This is probably a bad example, because I've never done lparing with power4 (which your 670 is).

However in power5, you would add the resource to the server and do the lpar operations through the HMC. The profile of the running partition would have to be assigned the slot of the new device, and the partition would need shutdown and then booted (but not just a reboot). Unfortunately the power down is required because you can't dynamic lpar if the profile of the running partition wasn't defined with this device as "desired".

good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back