Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing more than one OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
i have red hat linux and windows nt and 2000.
i want to install all three on one drive
but do not know which one should be installed first?
because of lilo or the 2000 menu......i'm not sure
can someone tell me what order these should be installed?

confused

I believe you have to install Linux first, because of LILO. Others should be able to confirm/reject this statement... Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

if u want to use the NT bootloader, instead of Lilo,
you install win nt4 first, it doesnt matter on what partition, then install 2000 on another partition because that will overwrite the nt4 bootloader. After that install Red Hat but during installation ensure u select the option to copy lilo to the begining of the linux native drive and NOT TO THE MBR. After Red Hat hasnt started you boot to Red Hat with a boot disk you also create during Red Hat Installation. Run the command to copy Lilo to a floppy (It should be in help file somewhere) and copy the file to the Windows system partition. You can then add a entry to start Red Hat in the boot.ini file

You have to create a separate partition for (3 of them actually) for LINUX. What I did with this same scenerio is I installed WinNT4 first on the first drive. Updated it with all the latest drivers and SP4 or higher. (For the NTFS 5 support for Win2K). Once all is updated then You can install Win2K on the SAME partition in a separate folder. Once Win2K is installed you can install Linux. You will need to create 3 partitions (Linux has issues with the windows partitions, that is whay you cant use them.) The first Linux partition is a SWAP partition. The Next is a boot partition and the last is the root or system partition. LILO will manage all the OSes. Does this help? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back