Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing more than one OS (NT , 2000, AND linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
i want to install all three of these OS'S
but am not sure which order.
should i install linux last? for lilo?
hmmmmm........anyone who has done this let me know i would appreciate any help
thanks!!!!!!

confused installer

My suggestion is to get Partition Magic. It does wonders, I currently have 4 OS's running on my machine now.

At home I've got XP (same deal as NT/2000 for booting) and Linux. Instead of using Windows' boot loaded, I used LILO (linux loader). I did it using TWO hard drives because I could, and it keeps things a lot cleaner. First install Windows on a drive without the other drive hooked up. However, the filesystem must be FAT otherwise Linux can't boot it :). Then stick the other drive in, make it the master so that in the end you will boot off of it. Make the other drive slave, and install LINUX. The install process should recognize that you have two drives in there. Install to the empty one, of course, and check the box to use 'LILO'. (I'm not sure if GRUB and LILO use the same config file, or if syntax is different....)In linux (only editable under 'root'), the config file (/etc/liloconf.???)) just has to be set up to find a bootable image. In essense, you must remap the drives in memory so Window once again thinks (as all other MS products) that it is God of the computer. I think the syntax is something like:

~~~~~ bla bla bal

other = /dev/hdb1/
label = DOS # by default, you can change it
table = /dev/hdb
map-drive = 0x80
to = 0x81
map-drive = 0x81
to = 0x80

run the lilo program to save changes (go to console window and type 'lilo' and it should say that it created a LINUX and a DOS entry). Now you should be able to boot. I don't have to file with me right now, but you can e-mail me if you want it specifically.

Now this only works for separate hard drives, but I think seperate partitions would be almost identical. Hope this helped.

Zourtney@juno.com
'Zourtney'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back