Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing McAfee on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbi

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2000
AU
Hi
I Know that this is probably a basic question but if you don't ask you will never find out.

I want to install McAfee onto a NT 4.0 network and have it installed on all the workstations and have the updateed dat files download as needed.
Can anyone give me some instructions as to how AI can do this.

Thanks in advance

SB [sig][/sig]

We use McAffee Total Virus Defense. For the NT 4.0 clients, there is a netshield console in the VirusScan program group. With it, you can schedule automatic dat updates via ftp and also virus scans.

Our NT servers update automatically as well. I haven't found an automatic way for the Win95 clients to get updated .dat files, though. Does anyone have a solution for Win 95 clients dat updates?

[sig][/sig]

McAfee includes the same scheduler in the win9.x install, which updates the dat files via local drive, ftp to McAfee site, or ftp to server site. It also includes the "SuperDat" scheduler which upgrades the engine components, too. The source file must be downloaded to local server and the workstation retrieves from there, i.e., can't retrieve directly from McAfee.
I have my pc to download the dat file daily from McAfee to a network location, then the workstations randomly through the week upgrade from there, to prevent losing too much bandwidth all at once. [sig][/sig]

Thank you - I found the autoupdate on my win95 client. It was there all along, I simply over looked it! [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back