Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorstarOption

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
How do I install a Linux OS on a laptop without a bootable cd rom. This is going to be my first time installing this OS. I need the easiest way to install it.

Thanks in advance.

For first timers, I'll suggest Lycoris which is the easiest to install. Partitioning can be a problem but for that you can go through a tutorial.

If you just want to try Linux, I'll suggest Knoppix that does not need any installation and even does not need a hard disk. You just have to boot with the CD and voila, you are using Linux.

But if he can't boot from a CD, which is what I think he is saying?.....

Redhat 8.0 allows you to make a bootable floppy, then install from the CDs - easy GUI for the novice. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

RH8 is easy to set up and will recognize most of the hardware on laptops right out of the box.

I tried installing Redhat 7.0, I could access the cd but I don't know what's the command to install it manually. I have a sony laptop and everything is external. Unfornately, I don't have the original cd rom. I have a different brand of cd rom so it is not bootable. That's the problem I have.

I would have to agree with the others in that case and suggest making a boot disk and running the install from that. I know that RH 7 and 8 both offer that option.

Hope this will help...

Dave

rookie10, go to and look for the documentation for installing that will tell you how you can make a bootable floppy on a Windows machine from an executable on CD #1 of Linux. Then you boot your new linux box off the floppy and it will run the CD installation. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back