Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing linux, but along side win2k, and.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

wins

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2002
IN
I have two hard drives. One 10 which I have isntalled Windows Me on for gaming purposes. The second, 20GB I have installed win2k with a 15GB partition, and I am going to install Linux on the rest 5GB. Right now when I boot up, I boot up from IDE-0, and I can choose which operating system I want to boot into, WinMe, or Win2k. When I install RedHat Linux will that be affect my current setup? What can I expect, and should I install LILO or not? Will Linux just be added to the list of operating systems to boot into?

Whatever, I would suggest you install it in a second harddisk in the system.. and boot from first harddisk or second harddisk using BIOS boot option.. (IF YOU WANT TO BE SAFE WITH YOUR PROGRAMMING WORK).

Any inadvertant scandisk may be avoided on the partions not connected to the relavant OS.

There can be ways to do many things... but experimenting something with your real time work at jeopardy is not advisable !!! (Just my views... but would watch these as I always experiment with my spare computer)

Best of luck ! ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back