Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing libcrypto.so.4 from openssl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysAdminMike

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2008
US
Hello,

I just installed openssl on my RHEL 5.5 box (not registered with RHN at the moment) and it did not install libcrypto.so.4 OR libssl.so.4.

My end goal is to get vsftpd installed, see below for my issue.

Code:
rpm -i vsftpd-2.0.1-5.EL4.5.x86_64.rpm 
warning: vsftpd-2.0.1-5.EL4.5.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 73307de6
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcrypto.so.4()(64bit) is needed by vsftpd-2.0.1-5.EL4.5.x86_64
        libssl.so.4()(64bit) is needed by vsftpd-2.0.1-5.EL4.5.x86_64

I downloaded the openssl source, ran

./configure
make
make test
make install

it all went well. Any ideas on where I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Michael

It looks like you are missing a (source) library dependency that is required to compile the program. There are a couple of ways to solve this but they really amount to the same thing: downloading the missing files and installing them first. I don't use Ubuntu which has a different package manager, but I imagine that you could select the program of interest and that there is an option for "get dependencies". There is probably a "build dependency" option in your command line package manager, and lastly if you find a package repository website, often times they will list the dependencies and you can recursively go through that list, download and install them.

Often times it is A LOT easier to get the program (binary) from the repositories instead of building from source. Unless there is a feature set or something that you require that isn't in the package version, you should consider going that route.

I am not sure if RHEL 5.5 has YUM installed (I use SuSE 11.3 at present), but from what I am reading all you would have to do is issue the following command from a root shell:

yum install openssl100a

or if you prefer the manual way, go to the following website and download the correct rpm file...

PS: RHEL = Fedora when it comes to RPM from what I read...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Code:
rpm -i openssl-1.0.0a-3.fc15.x86_64.rpm 
error: Failed dependencies:
        ca-certificates >= 2008-5 is needed by openssl-1.0.0a-3.fc15.x86_64
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.7)(64bit) is needed by openssl-1.0.0a-3.fc15.x86_64
        rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by openssl-1.0.0a-3.fc15.x86_64
        rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by openssl-1.0.0a-3.fc15.x86_64

Thanks,

Michael

have you tried it over the YUM package manager?

go to there are instructions on how to add it to the YUM repo list... then attempt to install using YUM...

yum's default behavior is to install dependencies along with the package that you are attempting to install...

Ben

ok,

I ran the following step

Installation - Misc Packages rebuild Repository
On CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 ( yum version 2.2 and higher ) : Download file : kbsingh-CentOS-Misc.repo and save it in /etc/yum.repos.d/

If you want to track updates using the up2date-applet or use the up2date package manager, add this line to /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

yum kb-centos-misc

then I tried

Code:
yum install openssl100a
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
This system is not registered with RHN.
RHN support will be disabled.
[URL unfurl="true"]http://centos.karan.org/el5Server/extras/stable/x86_64/RPMS/repodata/repomd.xml:[/URL] [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: kbs-CentOS-Extras. Please verify its path and try again
[root@bm-custom-es yum.repos.d]# yum install openssl

so I tried

RPM Packages for CentOS-4 and CentOS-5
The aim of this repository is to provide an easy way to access rpm's originally built for related projects, but not available to run on CentOS without a rebuild.

Report all bugs and issues to me via email at kbsingh {at} karan {d0t} org. You can contact me either via email, or over ICQ. My UIN is 2522219. If you have any package requests, feel free to drop me an email.

There are two repositories hosted here, the Fedora Extras rebuilt for CentOS and the Misc pkg. The Misc pkg tree includes various rpms that I have built from source or src.rpm rebuilds. There might be pkgs there that will overwrite / replace core pkgs included in CentOS. To use the Misc Pkgs repository, you will need the FExtras repo enabled as well, some of the dependencies are resolved there.

Installation - Fedora Extras rebuild Repository
On CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 ( yum version 2.2 and higher ) : Download file : kbsingh-CentOS-Extras.repo and save it in /etc/yum.repos.d/

If you want to track updates using the up2date-applet or use the up2date package manager, add this line to /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

yum kb-centos-extras
Installation - Misc Packages rebuild Repository
On CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 ( yum version 2.2 and higher ) : Download file : kbsingh-CentOS-Misc.repo and save it in /etc/yum.repos.d/

yum kb-centos-misc
GPG key
The GPG key used to sign packages in this repository can installed by running ( as root )

rpm --import
Notes :
1. At this moment, yum and up2date are the only supported clients. If there is any real interest in other package managers ( apt etc ), I might include support for those at a future date.

2. Not all packages in each upstream repository build clean, and the build process is an ongoing thing. Therefore, you might find that not all packages from upstream are available here.

3. Source RPMS that are output from my build process are made available ( signed with the same gpg key ) in the SRPMS directory, along with the build logs and debug info output from the same build process.

And I got the same error.

Thanks,

Michael

bummer with the YUM repo... hmmm...

as to the errors installing the RPM package, the last two errors indicate that the RPM was created with a much newer RPM packager then is installed on your system. thus I would attempt to install an older version of OpenSSL such as 0.9.7 first...

GLIB error (libc.so.6) should be part of your install already, but not at the version 2.7...

for the root certificate error, the following should help you there:

Ben

rpm just hangs, does not install...

Thanks,

Michael

Try the -UHv attributes instead of -i when installing through RPM...

other than that, seeing that this is a fresh install, why not do a clean install again, and this time make sure that GCC and OpenSSL are added at install time...

or switch over to CentOS, since the repos work there...

Ben

actually got this working with -config --help which gave me the needed flags.

Thanks though.

Thanks,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back