Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

corner40

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
CA
Hi
I am just about to partion my drive and install IIS on an NT Server. Is there anything special I should do or can someone direct me to a walkthrough. My guess is that it shouldn't be any harder then installing any other service but someone told me it was tricky, so...I haven't found anything saying it was but thought I'd ask you guys.
Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Jeremy

It's been a while since i've installed IIS on NT, but its not that tricky. IIRC there are couple of choices to be made regarding the location of the inetpub folder and port settings but the most important thing is by default it will be IIS4 so make sure you install the service pack as its full of holes. Unless you have a specific requirement to use iis4 on NT, you might want to consider apache for windows.

Be very careful. Do not install the version of IIS that comes with NT 4.0 server (which is IIS v2). Install NT4 cleanly and then install IIS from the NT Options Pack. Avoid installing the HTML admin interface and any Frontpage extensions. Apply appropriate security regarding Inetpub folder ( has an excellent tutorial on this). And of course apply latest service packs and hotfixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back