Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing ICS win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebot

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
After hard drive sudden failure, getting my network back up>but I am unable to figure out how I did it 2 yrs ago.
The "ICS" prog will NOT install following 9kinds of instructions I have tried. It apparently does not install when u clean-install Win98se on a new disk drive. Ive read 12 pages of microsoft knowledgebase articles. Nothing suggested works in 'finding @#$@compressed files on the install disk' and putting them where they need to be. Is there any simple way of installing internet connection sharing from the win98 disk I have, and not doing it one DLL at a time?? I dont even know where they would go IF i could find and UNCOMPRESS them! Any help appreciated.

Hi

I once done ICS on Windows 98SE using the Windows XP Wizard

You put the XP disc in and it comes up with a list of tasks and one is a ICS wizard!, it sets up the ICS and your away!

Sorry if it is vague but I too done this along time ago but that is how I done it ;-)

Jamie

Thanks for the replies, but I already fixed it the hard way. One DLL at a time>searched ms knowledge base for list of all files installed with ICS, then using System File checker, installed each one. BTW>Win98SE installs CAB files to \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS in their uncompressed form. Using system file checker you CAN extract the file you need IF you know which cab your file is compressed in. Theres lists on the web of the files in each CAB.

zebot;
FWIW
the CAB files should be copied from the CD to the \CABS folder, not extracted to (actually the entire contents of the \Win98 folder should be copied over)...then Start / Run Regedit - drill to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
and change "SourcePath" to reflect the \CABS folder (use full path).
SFC does NOT need to know "which" cab the File is in, and neither does the Extract command from the RUN box...
Files can be appended (many files at once) using the

Extract command, whereas SFC is 1 at a time and offers other benefits (such as not needing to tell it to "overwrite" the existing file)...but it does ask you if you'd like to back it up. Knowing the file NAMES only is enough for mostly 1 command line to do all the extracting.

It's a shame you had to suffer 1 at a time , and perhaps SE has a component in ADD/REMOVE >> Windows Components >> Details area for ICS..I don't know - never used it

Plus - the added bonus is, you won't ever need the CD either to Install and "Windows Components" from Add/Remove

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back