Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing HP C4280 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

robroy6

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
PC: Dell 4600i, XP pro SP3, USB connected HP Photosmart C4280 printer.

Troubles after installing HP C4280's Full Feature (FF) s/w.

I did a fresh download of the s/w and did the recommended procedure of (1)Clearing the TEMP directory, (2)Downloading, extracting the System, (3)uninstalling

the HP software, (4) doing a Disk Cleanup, (5)Installing the latest Adobe s/w, (6) and running SETUP.EXE. All seemed to work for printing and scanning. But

there were no "Essentials" or "Solution Center" for me to run. I needed to get at the Toolbox which is run from the "Solution Center".

In the Digital Imaging+BIN folders I found HPQDIREC.EXE. Running it gives me Solution Center+Settings+Toolbox to allow me to clean ink cartridges and print

diagnostic pages.

But when I run "Solution Center" I get a notice telling me it was "..waiting while windows configures a scan.." if I wait long enough it fails and tries again, over

and over. If I CANCEL when it starts this configure procedure I can get to the programs I want (Toolbox) after 4-5 Cancels.

I have tried the MS Clean UP Utility, didn't help. Ran msconfig+startup tab and there are no programs starting with HP running.

Why is windows trying to "configure scan"?
How do I stop this procedure?

I would give HP support a call, they have encountered this before I bet.

I have been with HP's various sites. Many "experts" have solutions which I tried but to no avail.

I still have these questions:
Why is windows trying to "configure scan"?
How do I stop this procedure?

There must be some program/services to record in a readable file what programs are called to run during these "configuring scan" cycles.

Thanks

Uninstall all the HP products associated with this printer from both ADD/REMOVE programs and the Start menu if you an uninstall something from there. Run CCleaner and clean out temp files and then the registry until no more errors or the same error keeps showing. Safe a backup of the registry EACH time before repairing. Reboot.

Run AUTORUNS and then select under Options >> Filter Options
Include Empty Locations
Verify Code Sigatures
Hide Windows Entries

Then under FILE, choose FIND and type in Hewlett. Do an F3 to go to the next occurrence. Uncheck each one as long as you don't have any other HP stuff on your PC. Reboot. What happens?

Thanks, I will try your suggestion with Autoruns and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back