Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing FreeBSD on a Intel based system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tEkPhReAkk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2000
US
is this even possible? i have tried it a few times.. everything works, then right about when the login screen comes up my video craps out.. any ideas?

There is no reason you should be having problems..

Try a different video card, have you done the configration of the kernal at boot time?

when booting, at the 'boot:' (when it says press any key to continue booting or any other key for boot: prompt)
type ..

-c

the system will then promt you with ..

config:

then type ..

visual

This will take you into the visual mode for the basic kernal setup. You may have another divice conflicting with the video card, and if so you will see 'conflits XX' at the top of this screen.

Basicaly you will have to check the irq's used by all devices and change or delete any you dont need.

Some video cards (agp mainly) use irq 11 for video and this can sometimes conflict with a network card (pci pnp)that will/may also try to use the same irq.

This may have been previously setup by windows which does irq sharing allowing two devices to share an irq.

also try 'reset config data' option in the bios if you have one and set 'plug & play' to no if you can. Assigning irq's by 'edge' and manually configure any isa device slots to use selected irq's.

hope this helps, although the above may not have anything to do with your problem, if all else faile, replace the video card with a basic one and see if you get the same results, or alternativly, take out every other card except the ones you realy need. (e.g. remove network and sound cards)

regards,

JayBot!B-) "Always know what you say, but don't always say what you know!"

also try going in to the computer's BIOS setup and indicate that the OS is NOT a Plug-N-Pray type....

this is what did the trick for me when i had problems with freeBSD recognizing my PCI network card.

although i was able to get everything else installed o.k.

has the box ever had an OS installed on it?

if not, try a different OS just to make sure the box is o.k.

eric

What video card are you using? Did you choose to start up in XDM mode for login, where the system logs you right into X-windows upon booting or connecting? If so, the problem might be with X-windows, not with FreeBSD. Hve you checked the Hardware compatibility list for X-windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back