Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Font

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxtravel

Programmer
Aug 24, 2002
MV
I want to create a Font Installing program which will be uploaded into my webserver and when a person wants to view my website, the person will have to click a link & the font will get automatically installed on the person computer.

I want to make this because, my website is written in my local language and it can only be viewed by installing a local font, and i want to make the font installing proceeder easier for anyone who will need to installed it.

Hope for a quick response.

chao, xtravel

My Site:

So, to explain that they need to do that, what language will you use? :)

Speaking personally, if I went to a site that told me I could not read it until I had run a program to install something on my machine, I would immediately leave the site - I get enough junk.

If you put the font on the site as a downloadable file, and tell people to save it into their FONTS folder, that will do the trick.

Watch out for copyright issues! Most font files are non-redistributable unless you pay a royalty. Look at your EULA and the file redist.txt

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Actually, I am from Maldives and our local language is called Dhivehi. If i say that you need to download this file to read the text, they will download it, because they already know about it.

can anyone tell me how it can be done.

My Site:

>>If you put the font on the site as a downloadable file, and tell people to save it into their FONTS folder, that will do the trick.<<

xxtravel:
When I need to install a font programatically, I use a 'commercial' installer like installshiedl express.

To get a font installed, you need to
Copy it to the FONTS folder,
and Windows also needs to create a registry entry to know it is there.
The registry entry contains the full path to the FONTS folder, and it is tricky to gt that from the registry if you aren't used to working with registry entries.

Downloading the font and having the user install it is by far the simplest method - you dont even need to write a program.

I wondered if I was being unreasonable to suggest this, so I searched the web to see how over multi-lingual sites handled the problem.

I only found two on Google, but they do it exactly as I suggested.

Check out these sites:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back