Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Firewire card 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogle

Technical User
Feb 8, 2001
GB
I am attempting to install an IEEE 1394 Firewire card (Sequoia Advanced Technologies Inc). I am running Win98 SE on a PC
with 1Gz Athlone CPU with 256Mb RAM
I put the card in one of the PCI slots and booted up.
The card was correctly recognised and the installation
wizard kicked in.I followed the routine instructions
but on re=booting there was a question mark on the
Firewire card in device manager saying error code 10, card
not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed.
Try upgrading the drivers. Tried that to no avail. Please
could some kind person guide me to a solution.

If you have the correct drivers ( installed from manufactures CD or web site) then it could be a bad card.

Perhaps you did`nt install the correct drivers 1st time.Suggest you remove the device,re-boot and install again making sure you install the correct drivers from the Cd/floppy that came with the card---hope this helps

Thank you very much bilko but please could you explain in detail how I do this. The floppy that came with the card contains the following files:-
1394 bus.sys ex sequoia
dvcam.inf
dvcam.sys ex Texas
ohci1394.sys ex sequoia
Hoping you can help a dimwit

Think Bilko was suggesting that after removing all traces of previous installation that on reboot when it finds new hardware that you choose "have disk" and point the install wizard to the floppy drive. It should pick up the right file name from the floppy.
As an alternative, you could change driver when you get the driver error. Point to the floppy as the source.
Suspect that the floppy has drivers for several cards using the interface and that the ex-sequoia means except sequoia.
Hate to answer for Bilko, but there is no guarantee when he will be on again. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thank you Ed Fair. The 'ex' meant source obtained by right clicking files and looking at properties/version. Is there any way of installing without the hardware wizard. I find it very ambiguous. I looked at c:\windows\system 32\drivers and found that the file 1394bus.sys is there but named as as 1394bus.001....File(not system file).Right clicking/properties/version says Sequoia. 1394bus,sys is there but right clicking shows Microsoft source

Looks like you made two installs, first sequoia, then MS over wrote it. You could rename the MS to some junk name then rename the .001 to .sys. Just make sure you know how to get to dos and undo it if the system crashes.
If sequoia had written an install or setup executable you could have gone that way but since they didn't you are locked in to the wizard.
If you were to delete via device mangler, then reinstall, pointing to the floppy, the *.inf file should point to the correct file to load.
And be aware that there are problems with the uninstaller. Has been, and probably will be forever. It leaves things dangling by not clearing everything out. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You may try using REG cleanr 4.0 at the site listed below it does a good job getting most of the junk associated with an uninstalled program out.

Sometimes you can start up in safe mode and the device will still be in device manager, so you will need to remove it there also. Then go through the install process again.

Even though you have to use the wizard, you don't have to let it search for the best driver. You can select the device type from the list, then tell it where the drivers are, in this case it would be a: ;-)

Michelle Fulton

Helpful tip:

Most USB devices require you to install drivers prior to installing the actual USB device. Many 1394 devices work similarly, including interface cards.

In your Windows directory is an INF directory, and within that directory will either be a subdirectory with a copy of the file from that install floppy or it'll be in the main inf dir. In either case, delete it.

Go into the Device Mangler (Winkey+Pause), and remove the device.

Now reboot. This should totally clear it from the machine.

Check your directions before beginning - you may need drivers in place BEFORE inserting the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back