Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Exchange 5.5? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehustler

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2003
US
I am freaking out, i started a complete uninstall of exchange 5.5 on my PDC.
Scenario:
all exchange services were not able to be started. So i inserted the Back Office CD to perform a complete uninstall.

Upon trying to re-install the exchange services. I encountered the error message during exchange setup:

"While attempting to create the microsoft Exchange Message Transfer Agent service the following error was encountered: The specified service has been marked for deletion.
Microsoft windows NT
ID no: 0xc0020430"

next message:

"procesing file 'F:\EXCHSRVR\SERVER\SETUP\I386\SERVER.INS AT OR NEAR LINE 19.

THE SPECIFIED SERVICE HAS BEEN MARKED FOR DELETION."

This prevents me from continuing the installation and kicks me out of the setup dialouge.Does anyone have any ideas.
thanx.

The only thing I have seen, is a failed install stops you from re-installing because of existing files. To get around it you use regedit to clean out the exchange entries and delete the exchsrvr folder from your drives. Then restart the install.
Hope this helps.

thank you that was the trick and it works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back