Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Exchange 2003 on Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamKing

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2005
US
Hey,

I'm trying to install Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a server 2000 box (one of the guys here needs it for a project). It's giving me an error: "- Failed to contact the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest."

Now, Microsoft has this documented and says to Append DNS Suffix's, so I throw in <servername>.bitgroup.com (our DC on our only domain), but no dice, then tried just bitgroup.com and it didn't work.

No other errors, can't really think of anything else, any ideas?

Thanks guys

-Adam

I forgot to mention that we have exchange 2000 setup on another box, if that would cause any problems. Thanks

-Adam

ok, first of all, u need to confirm Schema master is funcationing by typing "netdom query fsmo", u will have a list of Schema master DC. next step, chech DNS SRV record for that DC, is that DC accessible and having SRV records ?

------------------------------------
Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

The since you have exchange installed on another server. make sure that you use the same account to install and that, that account has the same access rights. Check all of the settings on the server to make sure that the domain is being seen from it. command prompt and type SET L this will tell you if the server is authenicated against the DC or Locally..

As benlu said check the fsmo roles you can also use replmon to check these. If neccessary do a seize using ntdsutil.

netdom query fsmo is setup correctly and is accessible, so that's not it...

One thing that may throw me for a loop would be the user account...i'm thinking that maybe the previous administrator used his account rather than administrator to install exchange..maybe we still have his account open, i'll look into that.

SET L gave the same thing, it's setup correctly.

If that doesn't work, any other ideas?

I appreciate the responses guys, this forum has been a huge help in the past with getting the ARCSERVE here up and running (what a HEADACHE)

-Adam

Hi,

As far as I know you cannot install Exchange 2003 on any other operating system other than Windows 2003 Server.

Cheers

Scott

Really? I could have sworn you could...I know having server '03 makes it significantly easier, but required? That's new to me...

Anyone else hear this?

-Adam

Yes,

Maybe your right, I think you may be able to install
it on 2K Server but you don't get the full functionality.

Apologies got mixed up I think...

Scott

Scott, Exchange 2003 will run quite happily on Windows 2000 (at least SP3) or Windows 2003, but a couple of the more advanced features, such as snapshot backups, will be unavailable on Windows 2000.

------------------------------------
Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

The 2000 server is a member of the same domain? silly question but had to ask.. Make the administrator a member of your entreprise admins and schema admins add to the exchange domain admins and exchange domain server groups. try install again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back