Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing DSL service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLDDUST5364

Instructor
Dec 21, 2005
US
Just signed up for adsl service with Bellsouth. I have my own modem and it's connected to a linksys router. 2 computers being networked - one wireless and one cat5 cable (admin). Anything I need to know when I actually 'power up'. Network is just being set up for internet sharing, both computers are running Windows XP. Haven't run linksys router installation yet because it calls for ISP and other internet info during install. Will that info load automatically when the dsl line is 'hot'.

Also, I'm looking to share a printer (non-network) on my computer with other computer with wireless connection. I understand this is possible as long as my computer is on. Any special info I should know about in accessing the printer from the other pc?

You will need to enter in all the information in the ISP section of the router so that it can log onto your ISP, it does not just receive the info once the connection is live.

For everthying to work in this mode, the modem must be just that a modem. Even some of the cheaper smaller modems have routing capbility and this needs to be turned off and the modem set to bridge mode for the router to work correctly.

You should also check that DHCP is enabled on the Linksys router, so that both machines will be auto assigned netowrk addresses.

One other thing you should really consider is enable some security on your wireless network either using WEP, WPA or MAC address filtering, or even a combination.

To share the printer you must enable print sharing on it. If you go to the properties of the printer there should be a sharing tab. Enable sharing, give the printer a meaningful name and then search for it on the other machine.

I can go into more detail, but see how you go with that and if you need more help, let me know.

I like children. If they're properly cooked.
-- W.C. Fields

Some modems will require you to set the VCI/VPI. BellSouth is 8/35. If the modem does not have an interface, it is already programmed with a list of common VCI/VPI and will cycle through them.

Make sure you use your full username in the linksys...username@bellsouth.net. Also, you will need your linksys set to PPPoE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back