Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing DBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloff

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
CA
Okay I'm a newbie so bear with me. I want to install the perl DBI module getup thingy. I downloaded the archive, it has all sorts of .pm, .t .h .file stuff in it, do I just upload it to my cgi-bin directory? Any special permissions needed on the files or? They havew a readme with it but it doesn't explain anythign in laymans terms. Favorite quote Narf
School: Alberta Distance Learning Center
If at first you can't succeed, try, try again. - programmer's motto.

Whoa okay looking at that almost makes me want to quit this stuff. Am I really supposed to be able to look at that someday AND understand it? I thought I was getting the hang of this stuff until I saw that! Why can't it be something nice and simple like heres 5 files upload em to your cgi-bin, set your permisions to execute and whoala you're done. Whats this perl Makefile.pl, make, make test, make install? They something I'm meant to type in someplace? I don't understand, I'm entirely unfamiliar with unix systems and even more unfamilair with perl modules. Could you try explaining these things like you'd explain it to a person that knows nothing about this stuff? Like very basic things that you do unconsciously but that a person in another field wouldn't have a clue about? You have to take things from the very beginning, I'd really appreciate because I just have no clue what is going on. Favorite quote Narf

Nightmare - you using a windows system or unix (linux counts as unix)? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

I'm using a unix system. It is a virtual host, however, so I do not have access to everything on the machine. Right now I'm not even sure if I have telnet access or not. Age: 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back